ATTENTION: Referral Agents/Discharge Planners/Social Workers/Medicare Beneficiary Advocates
IMPORTANT TIME SENSITIVE MEDICARE INFORMATION
Round 2 of the Medicare Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics, and Supplies (DMEPOS) Competitive Bidding Program is targeted to start on July 1, 2013 for people with Original Medicare in 91 areas across the country, including your area. This new program will change the amount Medicare pays for certain DMEPOS items and services and will also make changes to which suppliers Medicare will pay to furnish these items. When the program starts, Original Medicare beneficiaries who live in or visit one of these competitive bidding areas will need to use a Medicare contract supplier for Medicare to pay for certain DMEPOS items unless an exception applies. At the same time, Medicare will also be implementing a national competitive bidding program for mail-order diabetic testing supplies where Medicare beneficiaries across the country will need to use a Medicare contract supplier in order for Medicare to pay for diabetic testing supplies delivered to their homes. As the agency responsible for implementing both programs, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) recently announced these contract suppliers and we would like to take the opportunity to share this important information.
The Round 2 DMEPOS Competitive Bidding Program contract suppliers in each area can be found at www.medicare.gov/supplier. The following categories of DMEPOS are included in Round 2:
– Oxygen, oxygen equipment, and supplies;
– Standard (power and manual) wheelchairs, scooters, and related accessories;
– Enteral nutrients, equipment and supplies;
– Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) devices and Respiratory Assist Devices (RADs), and related supplies and accessories;
– Hospital beds and related accessories;
– Walkers and related accessories;
– Support surfaces (Group 2 Mattresses and Overlays); and
– Negative Pressure Wound Therapy pumps and related supplies and accessories.
The national mail-order program contract suppliers can also be found on www.medicare.gov/supplier. Suppliers that are awarded a national mail-order contract will be required to furnish mail-order diabetic testing supplies to beneficiaries with Original Medicare in all parts of the United States, including the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and American Samoa. Additional information can be found at http://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNProducts/Downloads/DME_Mail_Order_Factsheet_ICN900924.pdf.
The CMS DMEPOS Competitive Bidding Program website features current information that is a resource for you and your staff:
- The DMEPOS Competitive Bidding toolkit, a resource for people who help beneficiaries:
- The CMS DMEPOS Competitive Bidding Program website, which includes updated fact sheets and other information: www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/DMEPOSCompetitiveBid/index.html.
CMS welcomes the distribution of this information to other referral agents and encourages you to sign up for our email update at https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USCMS/subscriber/new?pop=t&topic_id=USCMS_7814
We look forward to also serving as a resource to you for this change to the Medicare program. We will continue to provide training opportunities in our competitive bidding areas. Please contact Claire Pavlecich at ROkcmMFM@cms.hhs.gov or 816-426-5033 for places, dates, and times and/or if you are interested in hosting an educational event at your facility or learning more about this initiative.
Associate Regional Administrator
- Beneficiary Tri-fold Brochure http://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Outreach/Partnerships/Downloads/DMEPOSBeneIntroBrochureApril201311363.pdf
- Beneficiary Fact Sheet http://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Outreach/Partnerships/Downloads/DMEPOSBeneFactSheetMarch2013.pdf
- National Mail Order Diabetic Supplies Fact Sheet http://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Outreach/Partnerships/Downloads/DMEPOSBeneFactSheetNatMailOrderProgApril201311634.pdf
- Travelling Beneficiary Conference Card http://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Outreach/Partnerships/Downloads/CorrectedTravelBeneConfCardApril2013.pdf
- Partner Program Preview/Beneficiary Safeguards http://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Outreach/Partnerships/Downloads/DMEPOSPartnerProgramPreviewBeneSafeguardsMarch2013.pdf